| Stuart Burrell
Carnegie PhD Scholar in Pure Mathematics
School of Mathematics and Statistics
University of St Andrews
Phone: +44 (0) 1334 463744
- Fractal Geometry
- Dimension Theory
- Dynamical Systems
I am a doctoral researcher in pure mathematics at the University of St Andrews, funded by a Scholarship from the Carnegie Trust.
In 2016, I graduated from the University of St Andrews with a first class master's degree in pure mathematics. My current research will focus on fractal geometry and related fields in pure analysis, supervised by Dr Jonathan Fraser.
A short CV is available here.
Awards and Scholarships
- Open Data Science Conference (ODSC) Scholarship, London 2016
- 2016 Institute of Mathematics Graduate Prize Winner
- Carnegie PhD Scholarship, Tenure 2016-2020
- Sanderson Prize, University of St Andrews, 2016
- Arthur Hinton Read Memorial Prize, University of St Andrews, 2016
- The Deans' List, University of St Andrews, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Duncan Prize, University of St Andrews, 2016
- Medal (Mathematics M.Math, Fourth/Fifth Level), University of St Andrews, 2016
- The Principal's Scholarship for Academic Excellence, University of St Andrews, 2015
- The University Scholarship for Research and Leadership, University of St Andrews, 2015
- Laidlaw Scholar in Research and Leadership, 2015
- Fractals and Dimensions, Institut Mittag-Leffler, Sweden, December 2017.
- Estimating Animal Abundance and Density using Acoustic Data, University of Cape Town, South Africa, January 2017.
- PAMTech Advanced PAMGuard, Edinburgh, 2016
- CoDiMa Software Carpentry, International Centre for Mathematical Sciences, Edinburgh, 2016.
- Spatial Capture-Recapture Methods, CREEM, St Andrews, 2016.
Conferences and Talks
- Introduction to Trace Contrast Methods, Estimating Animal Abundance and Density using Acoustic Data, South Africa, January 2017 (delivered)
- Trace Contrast Methods in Acoustic Space, African Institute for Mathematical Sciences, South Africa, January 2017, slides, (delivered)
- SMSTC Symposium, Perth, 2016 (attended)
- ODSC Machine Learning and Deep Learning Conference, London, 2016 (attended)
- Sequential Monte Carlo in Population Dynamics, Master's Thesis Presentation, slides, 2016 (delivered)
Academic and Professional Development
- Scottish Mathematical Sciences Training Centre: Measure and Integration, Groups, Rings and Modules, Foundations of Probability, Algebraic Topology, Regression and Simulation Methods, Functional Analysis, Manifolds, Algebras and Representation Theory, Stochastic Processes.
- Academy for PhD Training in Statistics (APTS), Advanced Statistics, 2016 - 2017
- Udacity, Machine Learning Engineer Nanodegree, 2016 - 2017
Teaching and Responsibilities
- MT1002 Mathematics, Tutor and Microlab Demonstrator, Semester 1 2017/18
- MT2508 Statistical Inference, Tutor, Semester 2 2016/17
- MT1003 Pure and Applied Mathematics, Tutor, Semester 2 2016/17
- MT2000 Python Workshop, Tutor, Semester 1 2016/17.
- MT2504 Combinatorics and Probability, Tutor, Semester 1 2016/17.
- Academic Tutor for the Centre for Academic and Professional Development, St Andrews
- SMSTC Council Student Representative
- Sequential Monte Carlo in Population Dynamics, University of St Andrews, 2016
- The Order Problem for Natural and Tropical Matrix Semigroups in GAP, University of St Andrews, 2016
- GAP Semigroups package  : implemented methods for a decision algorithm for the order problem of natural and tropical matrix semigroups. 
- GAP Digraphs package : implementated methods including Johnson's algorithm for the computation of the simple circuits of a digraph. 
-  The GAP Group. GAP -- Groups, Algorithms, and Programming, Version 4.8.3, 2016.
-  J.D. Mitchell et al. Semigroups - GAP package, version 2.7.4, 2016. http://www. gap-system.org/Packages/semigroups.html.
-  J. De Beule, J. Jonušas, J. D. Mitchell, M. Torpey, and W. Wilson. Digraphs - GAP package, Version 0.5, March 2016.
-  I. Simon A. Mandel. On Finite Semigroups of Matrices. Theoretical Computer Science, 5:101--111, 1977.
-  S. Gaubert. On the Burnside problem for Semigroups of Matrices over the (max, +) Algebra. Semigroup Forum, 52:271--292, 1996.
-  K.G. Farlow. Max-Plus Algebra, Master's thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, United States, 2009.
-  I. Simon. Limited subsets of the free monoid. Proc. of the 19th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pages 143--150, 1978. IEEE.
-  S.A. Burrell. The Order Problem for Natural and Tropical Matrix Semigroups in GAP, Master's thesis, University of St Andrews, United Kingdom, 2016.
-  D.B. Johnson. Finding all the elementary circuits of a directed graph. SIAM J. Comput., 4(1):77--84, 1975.